From the UK to Brazil: Part Two

One month in, James gave us an update based on his experiences of volunteering My Fathers House in Olinda. He has been kept busy, but has had an inspiring time and has not only given lots of his skills and time to the community, but has also gained much from the experience.

Read on to find out what he has to say.


My Time in Brazil - One Month In

What a month! I have been busy almost every day, splitting my time between the My Father's House in the day and the church most nights. The first three weeks I spent with my weekdays at Cida's and the boy's house, and then my weekends with Rafael and at the church. The fourth week I spent with Rafael and stayed with him and his amazing family.

At the house I am busy playing with and (to some extent) entertaining the boys, as well as looking after them and helping the team that runs the house. Handy phrases I have learnt there include 'calm down' 'stop' and 'I don't understand'! One month in and I can understand them somewhat, conversing back is still difficult but we still manage to communicate and have good laughs.

I have also started to get to know the wonderful church community of agua zinha. I have been joining the community in evening activities and meetings including project transform and Capoeira, and playing in the band on Sundays in morning and evening worship. I have been on 2 visits to the farm owned by the church and done a little work there.

My week spent in Aguazinha with Rafael included construction work in an old church building with him and Wellington, helping Rafael day to day with his duties and (obviously) watching the world cup! I also got to visit parts of Recife and Olinda with Wellington and was taken to Praia de Galinhos, a beautiful beach an hours drive away.

I can't wait to see what comes of my second month here, I'd appreciate prayers for where I should be spending more of my time (the church or my father's house), so my energy can be utilised in the right places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From the UK to Brazil: Part Three

Welcome to our Blog